10 Sleep Habits That Are Destroying Your Life
We all know that lack of sleep has a direct effect on our quality of life. More often than not, inadequate sleep can make us moody, tired and irritable during the day. If our sleepless nights continue, we are also putting ourselves at risk of various health problems. With this in mind, it is very important to ensure that you give enough time for the body to rejuvenate and reenergize. This is only possible if you will stop doing the most common bad sleeping habits that we have listed for you.
- The first one is eating heavy meals close to bedtime. A lot of people tend to eat so much after a very tiring day. This is not ideal especially if you are just an hour or two away from sleeping. The rationale behind this is related to the digestion process. If you eat close to your bedtime, your body will need to continue working, in this case, in digesting the food you have eaten. The acid that is naturally produced in the stomach may creep up into your throat when you are already lying down. This, of course, will disrupt your sleep and make you uncomfortable. If you really want to eat something before going to bed, make sure that it is light.
- Settling for a bad mattress is also not good for you. And while we understand that a good mattress may cost a fortune, just remember that you should never sacrifice the quality of your sleep. Also, there are so many variety and price points to choose from, so you will surely find something that will fit your need and budget as well. If you think you cannot really afford buying a mattress yet, you may want to check out toppers, which really make a huge difference.
Still on mattresses, as a rule, experts recommend medium firmness. It is said to be the best one especially for those who have chronic back pain. To be more specific, the medium-firm memory foam mattress is often preferred because it naturally follows the contours of the body and allows the spine to be in its natural position.
- Checking your mobile phones or laptop while in bed is not a good habit. And it is not just because they can tempt you to check for notifications and e-mails, actually, they emit light that will make it hard for you to fall asleep.
- Next habit on our list is consuming drinks that are high in caffeine. You probably know by now that drinking coffee close to your bedtime is no-no, so what we want to share with you is another fact. It is not only coffee that you should avoid, you should also stay away from tea, soda and even chocolates.
- If it is your habit to drink alcohol before bedtime, then you should probably stop it. And while alcohol can make you feel drowsy; it will not help if you want to have good sleep. Alcohol, once the body metabolizes it, can disturb you during the night.
- Drinking too much water before bedtime is also not ideal. You do not want bathroom breaks many times during the night, right?
- Sleeping in a room with a warm temperature is not a good idea. According to experts, it is best to sleep in a room with a set temperature of around 67 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal and undisturbed sleep. Cool temperature makes it easier for you to have relaxing sleep on best memory foam mattress topper.
- Not having a scheduled sleeping time is not a great idea as well. The body has a natural body clock and once you form a habit, it will be easier to have better quality of sleep. Your body will benefit from routine and consistency. So, it is best to avoid all-nighters and then binge sleeping. You are confusing your body clock, which, of course, will have negative effects.
- Working very close to your bedtime should be avoided. If you are preoccupied with so many work-related ideas right before sleeping, you will also have a hard time to get quality sleep. If you really cannot sleep right away, then the best thing to do is to unwind first, like listen to soothing music or meditate if you want.
- If you love exercising before going to bed, then you may want to rethink that. And while exercise is good for the health, it is not a good idea to do it right before bedtime. If you love going to the gym, make sure that your workout sessions are at least three hours before retiring to bed.
Breaking bad habits is not an easy task. But with determination, you will surely succeed in finally replacing them with better sleeping habits. Just like what we have mentioned earlier, sleep plays a huge part in the quality of our lives. Whenever we have a complete and relaxing rest, we become more ready to face all the challenges of the day ahead. It is therefore essential to ensure quality sleep if you want to really succeed. Good luck!